Field Notes Expedition (Colors Edition)
|Release Date:||First released::Winter 2012|
|Item No.:||Item No::FNC-17|
|Innards paper:||Paper used::Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 57#T "White"|
|Edition Size:||Edition size::20,000 packs|
|Official Page:||Field Notes Expedition|
Description[edit | edit source]
Aesthetically, you’ll find an all-new design with plenty to like: a hi-visibility “Antarctic Survey Orange” front cover and “Polar Night Black” back cover, with a subtle varnish effect featuring a topographic map of Antarctica. The body pages feature our popular dot-graph paper printed in light gray. But the real innovation here is the paper. It’s maybe not even fair to call it paper. The whole book is printed on Yupo Synthetic paper, an amazing water- and tear-proof paper extruded from polypropylene pellets in Chesapeake, Virginia. .
As part of the marketing for this edition, the books were rigorously tested for various conditions and extreme situations, including water submersion, tearing, and an acid bath.
This edition has since become a stock edition (FN-17), available year-round.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Paper[edit | edit source]
Specifications[edit | edit source]
01. Proudly printed by the good people of Stromberg Allen & Company, Tinley Park, Ill.
02. Cover: Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 74#C “Bright White,” with thick, brute force applications of “Polar Circle Gray” and “Hi-Visibility Orange” soy-based Superior inks, coated with a clear protective varnish.
03. Innards: Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 57#T “White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Cartographer’s Gray” soy-based Superior ink.
04. Cover and innards printed on a Man Roland 700 perfecting 40" 4-color press.
05. Bound by a Muller Martini “Bravo Plus” 4-pocket stream-fed saddle stitcher, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the "Founding Fathers of the Staple."
06. Corners precisely rounded to a ⅜" (9.5mm) radius with a Consolidated 250 hydraulic die-cutting machine.
07. Dot-graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
08. Memo book dimensions are 3½" × 5½" (89mm × 140mm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All FIELD NOTES note books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
References and Notes[edit | edit source]
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found.