The Flop House
The Flop House is a film podcast produced every two weeks. It is made in Brooklyn, New York and hosted by Dan McCoy, Stuart Wellington, and Elliott Kalan. Each episode focuses on a specific bad movie, a film noted for being a critical or commercial failure. The Flop House has received praise from The New York Times, The A.V. Club, Parade Magazine, and The Guardian, with the BBC noting that the podcast "has grown to command a large audience." Slate listed the 2012 episode "Tango & Cash" as one of "The 25 Best Podcast Episodes Ever".
The first episode of The Flop House was released in September 2007 and featured McCoy, Wellington, and original co-host Simon Fisher discussing the 2005 film Stealth. Following Fisher's departure from the show, Kalan became a permanent co-host in early 2008. The podcast has featured a guest host on several episodes, including multiple appearances by The Daily Show writer Hallie Haglund.
The Flop House was an independent production for several years before joining the All Things Comedy podcasting network in October 2012. The podcast then moved to the Maximum Fun network in September 2014.
Performing live as "The Flop House," McCoy, Wellington, and Kalan co-hosted, along with the editors of film zine I Love Bad Movies, a series of bad movie screenings at 92YTribeca in New York City from June 2011 until the venue's closing in June 2013. They have since hosted a series of "Flop Night" screenings along with the editors of I Love Bad Movies at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Yonkers, NY.
In September 2014 it was announced McCoy, Wellington, and Kalan would cumulatively write a forty-page Flash Gordon Holiday Special comic book to be released in December 2014.
References[edit | edit source]
- Berube, Chris (31 January 2013). "That Awful Film, Incredibly, Has a Following". The New York Times.
- "Week of June 2-8". The A.V. Club. 10 June 2011.
- "4 Great Podcasts for Summer Listening, Plus 3 Don't-Miss Reads". Parade Magazine. 20 July 2013.
- "The 10 best lesser-known podcasts". The Guardian. 18 January 2014.
- Assar, Vijith (5 August 2013). "Misery loves company in New York's 'bad movie' scene". BBC.
- "The 25 Best Podcast Episodes Ever". Slate. 14 December 2014.
- "Al Madrigal, Bill Burr launch All Things Comedy network with a little help from their friends". Laughspin. 1 October 2012.
- "Welcome, Destination DIY, Baby Geniuses, and The Flop House!". maximumfun.org.
- "Bad Movie Night: Twin Sitters". Flavorpill.
- Lee, Felicia R. (March 14, 2013). "92nd Street Y to Leave Its Downtown Space". The New York Times.
- "Summer Fridays: Sharks, Music Movies and Film Series Galore". Tribeca Film Festival.
- Cacioppo, Cristina. "Event Announcement: Flop Night with The Flophouse and I Love Bad Movies".
- Elfring, Mat (September 13, 2014). "Exclusive December Dynamite 2014 Solicits". Comic Vine.
[edit | edit source]
|This article about podcasting is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|