The Dawn and Drew Show
|The Dawn and Drew Show|
|Hosted by||Dawn Miceli, Drew Domkus|
|Updates||5 per week|
|Original release||September 23, 2004 – present|
The Dawn and Drew Show is a podcast starring and produced by a married couple, Dawn Miceli (born in West Allis, Wisconsin) and Drew Domkus (formerly of the Scaterd Few). The couple moved back to their farmhouse in Wayne, Wisconsin after being robbed and nearly killed in their home in Playa Cocles, Costa Rica. While they regroup and work up a game plan, Dawn Miceli continues to tour with the band Rasputina while Drew tries to learn how to make iPhone apps.
The show is described as "two ex gutter punks fall in love, buy a retired farm in Wisconsin and tell the world their dirty secrets... always profane, rarely profound." Dawn and Drew live with many pets including dogs, a cat, one sugar glider. The couple used to own Echo Books and Chocolate Lounge in Playa Cocles, Costa Rica.
Show format[edit | edit source]
The shows are spontaneous, although some trends have developed. These often entail Dawn singing, or the signature sign-off "good night, Inkernet." Dawn will often tell a peculiar story; Drew often comments on these stories, getting Dawn sidetracked, at which point Dawn emasculates Drew. Listeners are invited to call their audio comment line at (206) 666-3825 (which, on an alphanumeric touchtone phone, spells the oft-mentioned "MOM-FUCK"), to leave a voice message, and these messages are then played at the end of each show. Family members of both hosts have made appearances on the show.
Mevio negotiations[edit | edit source]
Their show was one of the first to become part of Adam Curry's PodShow network, which at one point carried Dawn and Drew over Sirius Satellite Radio. In September 2008, on show 800, Dawn and Drew revealed that contract renegotiations with Mevio (formerly PodShow) fell through, and were going to be independent. Without warning, Mevio shut off access to their webserver.
D&D Productions[edit | edit source]
Academy of Podcasters Hall of Fame[edit | edit source]
Dawn and Drew have been announced as inductees into the 2016 Academy of Podcasters Hall of Fame.
References[edit | edit source]
- della Cava, Marco R. (February 8, 2005). "Podcasting: It's all over the dial". USA Today. Archived from the original on October 21, 2012. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Snyder Bulik, Beth (August 29, 2005). "Podcasting for profit with Dawn and Drew". Advertising Age. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Heffernan, Virginia (July 22, 2005). "The Podcast as a New Podium". The New York Times. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "Sin Disease". MusicBrainz. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- Carrillo, Samantha Anne (October 18, 2012). "MUSIC TO YOUR EARS". Weekly Alibi. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "The Academy of Podcasters Announces its 2016 Hall of Fame Class!". Academy of Podcasters. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Park City Daily News
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Podcasting Bible (subscription required)
- Voice: Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media. pp. 39–41.