Science for the People (podcast)
|File:Science for the People podcast logo.png|
|Genre||Science, skeptic, interview|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Hosted by||Desiree Schell|
|Edited by||K.O. Myers, Ryan Bromsgrove|
|Produced by||Rachelle Saunders|
|Recording studio||Edmonton, Alberta|
|Original release||March 20, 2009 – present|
Science for the People (formerly Skeptically Speaking) is an Edmonton-based, weekly podcast and radio show that aims to explore issues pertaining to science, skepticism and rational thinking through interviews. The show has featured interviews with prominent skeptics, researchers, and scientists including Adam Savage, Derek Colanduno, Phil Plait, and Carl Zimmer.
Production[edit | edit source]
The podcast's first episode, on the subject of the secular movement in Alberta, was broadcast on the 20th of March 2009. Since then, a show has been offered every week. The live show broadcasts every Sunday at 6PM and invites its listeners to contribute their questions either via email, phone call, or by posting in the live chat-room during the shows. While its home station is the campus-based CJSR-FM, the show is now broadcast by a number of stations in Canada and in the United States.
Recurrent features[edit | edit source]
In addition to the main interviews in the show, a short segment is often offered during which members of the skeptical communities are invited to publicize their various projects, allowing for the promotion of grassroots events. Another such short segment is called "everything you know is sort of wrong" and invites science blogger Greg Laden to clarify scientific misconceptions that might be held by the public.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Interview with Desiree Schell of Skeptically Speaking", Skeptical Review, June 28, 2010, retrieved September 6, 2011
- Mongia, Gurmukh (May–June 2011), "Skeptically Speaking Podcast Celebrates Second Anniversary", Skeptical Inquirer, Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, vol. 35 no. 3, p. 6
- "Surprise Guest! Adam Savage!". Skeptically Speaking. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Science Fiction and Skepticism with Derek Colanduno". Skeptically Speaking. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Plait, Phil. "Skeptically Speaking Online". Bad Astronomy blog. Discover Magazine. Retrieved 21 July 2012.,
- Zimmer, Carl. "Radiolab and Skeptically Speaking: For Your Listening Pleasure". The Loom blog. Discover Magazine. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Kroll, David. "Drugs of Abuse Tag-Team at Skeptically Speaking". Chemical & Engineering News. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "#1 Secularism in Alberta". Retrieved 2012-07-22.
- "Family & Community". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Skeptically Speaking Radio Stations". Retrieved 2012-07-22.