How Was Your Week with Julie Klausner
|How Was Your Week? with Julie Klausner|
File:How Was Your Week with Julie Klausner podcast logo.jpg|
Logo for How Was Your Week with Julie Klausner
|Hosted by||Julie Klausner|
|Genre||Comedy, Talk show|
|Original release||March 8, 2011– present|
|License||© Julie Klausner|
How Was Your Week with Julie Klausner was a weekly comedy and interview audio podcast hosted by writer and performer Julie Klausner. The audio podcasts are around ninety minutes in length, and include conversations with entertainers, writers, comedians, and performers. The show is usually recorded in Klausner's home, which sets an informal tone.
As of March 2016, the podcast has ceased weekly production.
Format[edit | edit source]
Each episode is anchored by an opening monologue and usually includes one or two interviews. Klausner often prompts her guests to discuss things they would not typically be asked to talk about in a formal interview, such as their opinions on current reality TV shows, or gossip and stories from their early career. As a host, Klausner has been described as having a "literate sensibility and affection for showmanship," which inspires her to include the occasional song along with her rambling digressions on high and low culture.
Regular subjects of Klausner's monologues include pets, television, film, musical theater, current events, American politics, what is happening on Twitter, and who she considers worthy of inclusion in a list known as the "Redhead Hall of Fame," using each topic as a platform for comedic improvisation and performance.
Notable guests who have appeared on "How Was Your Week" include David Rakoff, Joan Rivers, Michael Ian Black, Jon Ronson, Patton Oswalt, Martha Plimpton, Ana Gasteyer, Kurt Loder, Retta, Eddie Pepitone, Chris Parnell, Mo Rocca, Jim Gaffigan, Carole Radziwill, Todd Oldham, Sandra Bernhard, Tom Scharpling, Andrew McCarthy, Mike Birbiglia, and Carrie Brownstein, among others.
History[edit | edit source]
Klausner created "How Was Your Week" in early 2011 after being encouraged to start a podcast by comedian Patton Oswalt via Twitter. She looked for format inspiration by listening to comedy broadcasts such as The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling and WTF with Marc Maron.
References[edit | edit source]
- Rabin, Nathan (November 29, 2012). "Julie Klausner of How Was Your Week picks her favorite episodes". A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Gadzinski, Steven (October 19, 2011). "Julie Klausner is Having a Good Week". Interview Magazine. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Zinoman, Jason (December 31, 2012). "A Podcast That Has Old-School Smarts". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Hoffa, Meredith (April 10, 2012). "Julie Klausner: The Podcaster". Dame Magazine. Dame Media LLC. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Berkowitz, Joe (April 6, 2011). "The 10 Best Comedy Podcasts of the Moment". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- McGlynn, Katla (November 11, 2011). "How Was Your Week Live: Julie Klausner, Fred Armisen, Paul F. Tompkins and More Podcast In Brooklyn". Huff Post Comedy. TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. Retrieved 11 January 2013.