Field Notes Utility
|Release Date:||First released::Spring 2017|
|Item No.:||Item No::FNC-34a|
|Innards paper:||Paper used::Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T "Pure White"|
|Edition Size:||Edition size::35,000 packs|
|Official Page:||Field Notes Utility|
Description[edit | edit source]
“Utility” features your choice of two often-requested but rarely-available body pages: Engineer Graph or Ledger. Engineer Graph features an 1/8-inch grid with bolder lines each half-inch. It awaits your schematics, assembly drawings, geometry homework, or dungeon maps. The Ledger version, of course, is ultra-handy for mileage logs, parts lists, to-do lists, or any sort of handwritten accounting. People often ask, “Where do your ideas come from?” In this case, it started with the cover paper. Mohawk’s beautiful vibrant Via Vellum 80# “Safety Yellow” cover jumped right out of the sample book like a DOT warning sign.
The edition is split into the Graph (FNC-34a) and Ledger (FNC-34b) variants. Subscribers receive an "After Hours" utility tool (bottle opener) (FNC-34c).
A complete surprise subscription release was the “Blue Book” Exam Booklet in Spring 2017 (FNC-34d).
Reception[edit | edit source]
The Utility memo book, the 34th Quarterly Edition, was generally well received, but some users raised issues about the quality control, particularly the quality of the rounded corners and the spine. The Mohawk paper used seems to be very good for use with pencils.
Specifications[edit | edit source]
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: Mohawk Via Vellum 80#C “Safety Yellow,” with a brute force 2-color application of “Contractor Black” and “Overtime Red” soy-based Saphira inks.
03. Innards: Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White“ with a fine, 1-color application of “Get-It-Done Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
04. Cover and innards printed on a Printed on::Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press.
05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
07. Engineer graph grid: 1/8"× 1/8" (3.18mm × 3.18mm). Ledger lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
11. UPC GRAPH FNC-34a: 858493003486, LEDGER FNC-34b 858493003493 
References and Notes[edit | edit source]
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found.
- Lead Fast showed this issue on their blog https://www.leadfast.org/blog/2017/2/27/field-notes-utility-notebook-review
- Bleistift's paper test showed that it produces very dark graphite lines https://bleistift.blog/2017/03/field-notes-utilitys-amazing-mohawk-paper/
- Taken from the official Utility page https://fieldnotesbrand.com/products/utility