Field Notes Dime Novel
|Release Date:||First released::Fall 2017|
|Item No.:||Item No::FNC-36|
|Innards paper:||Paper used::Strathmore Premium Wove 70#T "Natural White"|
|Official Page:||Field Notes Dime Novel|
Description[edit | edit source]
This edition was inspired as an homage to the particular look of "dime novels" -- cheaper, mass-produced pocket-sized books from the 1860s, produced by the brothers Erastus and Irwin Beadle in New York. The impact and influence of which can be traced to the current paperback industry.
The format and construction of our "Dime Novel" Edition is all-new for us. They’re 4¼"× 6½", right between our "Memo Book" and "Note Book" sizes. The 100# French Paper Co. Construction "Safety Orange" cover is far more durable than what was used on the original Dime Novels, and the "Natural White" Strathmore Premium 70# you’ll find inside is the highest-quality body paper we’ve used in any Field Notes edition ever. The 72 body pages are Smyth-sewn in three, 24-page signatures with Coats Dual-Duty thread, then securely glued into the cover. .
As an added flourish, the print on the front and back covers is also debossed.
Subscribers receive two 2-packs of the "Dime Novel" edition, and a special 1" button with the Dime Novel logo (FNC-36a).
Additional reading on cheaper produced publications can be found at Northern Illinois University, through their '| Nickels and Dimes' collection.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Paper[edit | edit source]
Specifications[edit | edit source]
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: French Paper Co. Construction 100#C "Safety Orange," with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of "Dachshund Nose Black" soy-based Saphira ink, and very gently debossed by Nu-Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
03. Innards: Strathmore Premium Wove 70#T "Natural White" with a fine, 1-color application of "Dachshund Nose Black" soy-based Saphira ink.
04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press. Cover printed on a Mitsubishi Diamond Series 40" 6-color printing press.
05. Bound with Coats Dual Duty C8167 "Natural" thread on a Smyth Freccia sewing machine and Muller Martini Norm binder at Harris Bindery, Downers Grove, Ill.
06. Corners precisely rounded to ⅜" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
07. Pages more-or-less sequentially numbered for your convenience.
08. "Dime Novel" dimensions are 4-1/4" × 6-1/2" (108mm × 165mm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses the Futura family (Paul Renner, 1927) and occasionally the Century Schoolbook family (Morris Fuller Benton, 1918) in its materials, two typefaces wildly anachronistic to this particular project, but timeless enough to work.
10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
11. UPC: 858493003615
References and Notes[edit | edit source]
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found.