Field Notes Campfire
|Release Date:||First released::Summer 2017|
|Item No.:||Item No::FNC-35|
|Innards paper:||Paper used::Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T "Bright White"|
|Edition Size:||Edition size::30,000 packs|
|Official Page:||Field Notes Campfire|
Description[edit | edit source]
The cover printing is inspired by a technique common before process color separations made color printing easy: a photographic halftone printed over blocks of solid spot-colors to simulate a color photo. In this case, each book is printed with five different spot colors, the darkest color being the photographic halftone. Three stages of the fire are represented on the three covers, “Dusk,” “Night,” and “Dawn,” and Aaron Draplin came up with a series of logos, “Geometry,” “Community,” and “Responsibility,” for the backs. They’re printed on a coated-one-side paperboard (coated outside, uncoated inside) with a satin varnish applied to protect the finish. The graph lines of each cover are also different, coordinated with the uncoated inside covers. (Dusk/light blue, Night/orange, Dawn/brown)
Each pack also includes a "Campfire Master" 2-1/4" badge inspired by Boy Scout merit badges, made by Manufactured by::Brewery Outfitters in Portland, OR.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Paper[edit | edit source]
The Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White” has been used previously. When Bleistift tested the Field Notes x Ingersoll memo books that use this paper it was found that it is whiter than the similar 50#T paper used by Field Notes, while being able to produce darker graphite lines at the same time. 
Specifications[edit | edit source]
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: WestRock Tango Coated Cover C1S Paperboard “White” slathered with a whopping fifteen (five per book) hand-picked soy-based Saphira inks.
03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of soy-based Saphira inks.
04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
05. Bound with gold staple wire on a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
07. Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.